Thursday, February 23, 2006

Holiday - Madonna's running through my head

No. We're not off to Mexico, the Bahamas or even a ski trip in the Laurentians but.... my husband is on his march break. Ahhhhhhhhh. You can hear me sigh in all corners of Canada.

I actually was singing "Holiday" in the shower last night when he got home from writing his last midterm. Well, parts of it over and over, probably off-key. I felt light. So did he.

Today I get to run errands BY MYSELF.
... and not icky errands like groceries and dry cleaning - not that we ever have any dry cleaning, I'm a wash and wear kinda girl - but fun stuff. I'm planning on going to the yarn store and Micheal's (yarn sale). Maybe I'll even swing out to the Scrapbooking Mecca at the other end of town, who knows?! The world is my oyster! I'm shaking off those February BLAHS!!!

After the week we had last week, we both deserve a breather!

It started out with Kate coming down with the flu- we thought. Being a good citizen and not wanting to overburden our already bloated medical system with something as routine as a flu consultation, I opted to treat the symptoms and that was that. Well, that isn't always that. On the third day her fever had subsided but she looked very flushed. I lifted her shirt and discovered that she looked as though she was sunburnt and her skin had a rough texture when touched. The nagging Mommy voice in my headwas saying "something is amiss here!". When the parentsof the year decided to get her to a doctor the diagnosis was ... get this.... Scarlet Fever!

I was like, "Wait a minute, she can't have scarlet fever, Beth in "Little Women" DIED of scarlet fever..." It kinda freaked me out a little... OK, a lot. The only comforting fact was that the doctor didn't seem too concerned and assured us witha good dose of anti-biotics ( Thank you God for great anti-biotics), she would be fine! And she was.

Chapter 2 - Philippe the Terrible

scarlet fever- a complication of strep throat which is HIGHLY contagious.
Philippe started complaining of a sore throat, which was more of a warning than we got from Kate, and we had him swabbed right away! Unfortunately for us, he is the WORST sick kid!!!
If I had him sick on the front end, I would have had the patience and creativity to deal with his various shenanigans - but I was tapped out. For a few days we had the privilege of having an in-house exorcist candidate! His bedroom carpet is witness to his strong desire to not take any kind of medicine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get cherry Advil stains out of peachy pink carpeting??

Anyways......

All are well... now. Everything is back to normal.
Normal.
I still might need a strong drink by 5 tonight.
It's five o'clock somewhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home